Thursday, February 25, 2010

motherly questions

I don't know if it is the cold weather outside or some weird hormone thing, but I have had a really hard time consistently enjoying motherhood the last several months. I have discovered I have a short temper, and little things tick me off faster than I ever thought I was capable of. I have had a hard time admitting it to myself because I feel it just confirms that I am a bad mother.
Yesterday I was in a bad mood most of the day. Today started no better. It's not fair to Jason to come home to a cranky wife and it's definitely not fair to the kids to have to be with me all day... yet for some reason they still follow me everywhere and are always within 2 feet of me... which only amplifies my bad mood when they are whiny!
The thing is, I can't go on like this. This morning I was so annoyed with how annoyed I was getting!! I did one of my old tae-bo workouts and I have been feeling better. I think if I can keep that up it will help some... probably a lot. Maybe I can sweat out all my bad hormones...
So my question is... Mom, how did you survive living in the middle of no where with all of us? And sisters 3, what do you do now to be happy and content with your role as a mother?

3 comments:

  1. I know I start with a better attitude when I have a certain time to wake up and actually get up and shower before my kids come in. If I read my scriptures and pray before I see my kids I'm usually nicer. I know a lot of people say stuff like that, but it really does work for me.
    Make a schedule for your days. Clean for an hour, focus on kids and play for an hour, etc. They just like your attention. If you focus on just them for a portion of everyday, you'll actually get more done.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Of course nobody's perfect. You can't help feeling annoyed and frustrated when you are cleaning up splattered orange juice off the floor for the third time that day. Just remember: no one loves your kids as much as you, and therefore, they are better off with you on a daily basis than anyone else!
    The fact that you gave birth and stay home with your kids shows that you are a better mother than most of American society today!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sally, Leesa is so right about what she has said. There were days on the farm that I thought I would not suvive. But things went alot better for me when I stated teaching seminary and got up early and started the day with prayer and my beautiful girls. I was unhappy much of the time or so I thought. This time with your children will go by so quickly and then you wish for it back. So don't let the devil enter your home the way I sometimes let him enter ours when you were growing up.

    ReplyDelete