Sunday, April 3, 2011

Jones March Goal

This month has been the changing point in our lives. We've completely changed our lifestyle and eating habits. We threw out every processed snack and prepackaged item in our house. We eat nothing but whole grains, fruits and vegetables, and lean meats and fish. Dan and I have each lost about 15 pounds and the kids' cavities have all but disappeared. Ok...none of that actually happened, but we wish it had!
We didn't throw anything out, but I didn't by a lot of new. (Except for the crackers, fruit snacks, and granola bars we needed to replace the stuff in our 72 hour backpacks.) We were much more aware of what was going into our mouths. I didn't change the way I cooked really, but paid more attention to what we ate between meals, chips and crackers were replaced by cheese sticks and fresh fruit.
Dan got a podometer through work. (not sure I spelled that right, it's a little thing you attach to your belt area of your pants and it counts your steps.)
Dan wore it most of the month and was excited to see what number he could get up to every day. I borrowed it towards the end of the month and felt much more motivated to walk on the treadmill more to see how high my number each day could go. I actually did lose 5 pounds. Not a joke this time. I highly recommend getting one!
I wish there was a way to impliment more of this healthy eating into our food storage. Fresh fruits and vegetables are the best thing for a healthy diet, yet don't really jive with a 3 month or year supply of food. Any suggestions to that????
Thanks for the goal Steve. We need that one 12 months a year!

No comments:

Post a Comment