Tuesday, November 29, 2011

Jill's 3rd talk

I read the talk "A Time to Prepare" by Elder Ian S. Arden. Here are the points that stood out to me.
1. Set goals and learn how to master the techniques to achieve them. I think we all do well at setting goals and then lose sight of it because we haven't figured out a "game-plan" to achieve them.
2. Giving our time in the service of God is pleasing to God and that will draw us nearer to him. I know that if I spent more of my time serving others I would feel happier and more at peace.
3. Time is never for sale; time is a commodity that cannot, try as you may, be bought at any store for any price. Yet when time is wisely used, its value is immeasurable. I think it's important to pay attention to how we spend our time and remember that we won't get lost minutes back.
4. We are all indebted to God for the ability to use time to advantage, and he will require of us a strict account of its disposition. This part really struck me when it said we will have to give an account of our time. I'm pretty sure that a lot of my time has not been spent wisely.
5. We must be sure that being busy also equates being productive. As I've thought about that I keep thinking how often I say, "I'm so busy,' yet when someone asks me what I did today I usually say "Nothing!" Why is that?
6. How sad it would be if the phone and computer drowned out the simplicity of prayer to a loving Heavenly Father. Let us be as quick to kneel as we are to text.
7. To have the peace the Savior speaks of we must devote our time to the things that matter most, and the things of God matter most. As we dedicate our lives to keeping the commandments we will be blessed and have a great relationship with our Father in Heaven.
8. And lastly, he "invites us to identify the time-wasting distractions in our lives that may need to be figuratively ground into dust." I keep thinking of things that take me away from my callings, my church assignments, and my family and I have been trying to spend less time on those things that really won't matter next week.

No comments:

Post a Comment